How It Works
Using the API
For further information on how it works using API, see our dedicated page
The payer issues their cheque to Lemonway (or to you) and sends it to you or directly to Lemonway with your company name on the back of the cheque. The payer must also enter the external ID of their payment account on the back of the cheque or the ID of the operation of the cheque is pre-registered on Dashboard.
We then verify each cheque in the following way:
- Cheque validity (signature, date (must be less than 12 months ago), city, amount, and beneficiary)
- Consistency of the amount in figures and words. If there is a difference, the amount entered in full will be retained by the bank, and it is, therefore, the amount that we will enter into the relevant payment account
- An external ID of the payment account on the back of the cheque
- A transaction ID on the back of the cheque (for pre-entered cheques in your environment)
- Correspondence between the cheque issuer and the payment account holder to be credited
In the case of a joint account
- A cheque issued from the joint bank account of A and B can be credited to the payment account of A, the payment account of B, or the joint payment account of A and B.
- A cheque issued from A's bank account can be credited to A's payment account or to the joint payment account of A and B
Supported Cheque Payments
Lemonway supports cheque payments made from French and Spanish accounts. The following table outlines the service we provide:
In France, we offer a service with our Partner Viamobis.
|Money-In||Available||Accepted Currency||Payer Country||Payment Confirmation||Cancel||Refund||Pre-Auth||Recurring||Pay by Link||Chargebacks||Commercial Litigation|
What to do in the case of an anomaly
If the anomaly is found, the cheque is either destroyed or debited (if the anomaly can be corrected).
The cases of blocking anomalies are:
- Partially torn cheque (example: truncated cheque number)
- No order or cheque amount
- No signature
- Incorrect date
- Cross out on the cheque
- No mention of Lemonway (and the impossibility of adding the mention)
Cheque Statuses displayed in Lemonway Dashboard
✅ Completed: the transaction was successful, and the amount is credited to the target payment account.
🕓 Pending: transaction has not yet been credited target payment account. The cheque has been processed by Lemonway and is being processed by our banking partner. The transaction status might change to Completed or Error. The status will change to Completed once the cheque is actually credited to Lemonway's bank account.
❗ Error: the transaction was unsuccessful and the transaction amount was not credited to the targeted payment account.
The cheque issuer has to be a Lemonway wallet holder.
Successful Transaction is not displayed as completed
In rare cases (a bug in the bank information forwarded to Lemonway), a cheque that has actually been debited from your customer's account may appear on your Dashboard as Pending or Error.
If this happens contact us, providing the information listed below:
- The cheque amount
- The cheque number
- A proof of debit from the client's bank account
Refund a Payment by Cheque
Payments by cheque cannot be refunded. In this case, you will need to issue an outgoing transfer.
Updated 2 months ago